Monday, October 27, 2008

Writing Process

My writing process is that of a fine wine, it gets better with age.

The unity, clarity and depth of my writing have improved each year. When I was little, I started with a main idea and used that idea to create a story. Often times, my stories would contain a lot of words, but not a sense of clarity or cohesiveness. My tendency was to ramble on about many different ideas that pertained to the main idea; however, my writing barely scratched the surface on successfully conveying the main idea to my audience. As I grew older, the main idea became clearer, but still needed work.

I view my writing process through this metaphor because it paints an accurate picture of my “writing journey”. Looking back at previous writing endeavors through free time and for class, I can see my writing becoming better with age. My writing journey evolved from a style of poor mechanics and incoherent sentence forming to a style that thrives because the efficiency of my writing is apparent and the mechanics are improved. However, my journey has just begun. Writers begin their campaigns at different stages. Some writers are naturally gifted, while others need time and practice to perfect their craft. I see my craft taking shape and getting better every day; much like a fine wine gets better with age.

1 comment:

Paul said...

I enjoy the metaphor you have chosen to explain your writing. I think that it is very logical and clear. In this essay, I thought that you did a very nice job presenting your background and then describing your metaphor in the second section. This made the piece clear.